help-debbugs

Re: debbugs.gnu.org & non-GNU savannah-hosted projects?

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: debbugs.gnu.org & non-GNU savannah-hosted projects?
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 22:24:11 +0200

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Paul Wise wrote:
>>> I heard[1] that you are encouraging GNU maintainers to use the
>>> debbugs.gnu.org service for bug reporting.
>>> I was wondering if you also intend to allow non-GNU but
>>> savannah-hosted projects to also use it. As part of my Debian work
>>> I'm familiar with debbugs and would prefer to use it for the projects
>>> I have created rather than the savannah bug tracker.
>
> The problem I see with this is that Savannah seems to be quite careful
> to draw a distinction between GNU and non-GNU projects. There are
> separate "savannah.gnu.org" and "savannah.nongnu.org", and
> "lists.gnu.org" and "lists.nongnu.org" addresses, "official GNU
> software" and "non-GNU software" are counted separately, etc.
>
> There really isn't any mechanism to make such a distinction within
> debbugs. When you file a report, you get an ack "Thank you for filing a
> bug report with GNU"; the individual bug report pages all say "GNU bug
> report logs"; etc. I think it would require a separate
> "debbugs.nongnu.org" instance to make it work correctly.

Hi Glenn,

Karl Berry and I talked about this, and given how little actual separation
there is between say lists.gnu.org and lists.nongnu.org (almost none), we
think it *would* be appropriate to let non-gnu projects use the service.
We should be able to manage this without a second instance.

I think the solution is as simple as saying the slightly more generic:

  "Thank you for filing a bug report with us"

and changing the web page template to say "bug report logs"
instead of "GNU bug report logs".  Actually, I'm not so sure
that "GNU bug report logs" would be inappropriate.  I think it'd
be a nice feature/gesture that the GNU bug tracker would also support
Savannah-hosted "non-gnu" projects.

What do you think?

Jim