help-debbugs

Re: Merge goes the wrong way

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Merge goes the wrong way
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 20:39:48 -0700

Hello Phillip,

Phillip Susi wrote:
> No matter which order I specify the arguments to the merge command in,
> it always dups the bug with the higher number against the lower
> number, causing the lower numbered bug to be the one shown in the bug
> list.  I want it the other way around since the higher numbered bug is
> the one with the good information and title.

As far as I know that is just the way merge works in the BTS.  AFAIK
it always orders them based upon the bug number.

I suggest unmerging the low numbered bug you don't want.  Then add a
note referencing the better bug.  Then closing the lowered number bug.
That way anyone finding and reading the lower numbered bug will have a
reference over to the "better" bug.  And then all of the tracking and
information can continue in the later better bug.  The BTS is a useful
tool but we shouldn't be a slave to it.

Note that although I have used the BTS quite a while I don't consider
myself an expert on the internals.  I am just a user.  There very well
may be another way.  Glenn would certainly know for sure.

Bob