help-debbugs

Re: Submitter Email?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Submitter Email?
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 12:57:55 -0500

Bob Proulx wrote:

>> The MFT header is added to the cc to the bug-list that goes out when a
>> report is closed by sending a mail to 123-done. It is not added to
>> any-and-all mails, because there is no need.
>
> I disagree.  The MFT header is needed in both cases.

I disagree with your disagreement. :)

Just follow the normal GNU mailing list conventions of using
reply-to-all, and everything will be fine. The addition of
debbugs.gnu.org into the system does not change anything.

The MFT is only needed with the -done messages that close bugs, because
they mess around with the recipients.

You're effectively saying "all lists.gnu.org mail should set MFT", which
is not something I agree with. There's no point setting an MFT that just
points to all the recipients.

> One feature the Debian BTS has that the GNU BTS does not have is the
> ability to subscribe to bugs.  Or have I missed seeing that feature in
> the GNU BTS?

No, it's not supported. I see no prospect of me implementing it, sorry.
But if someone wants to, that would be great.

> Please may I request a MFT header be added to messages sent to the GNU
> BTS as an enhancement request?

Sorry, I'm not going to do that.

Everyone should just follow the normal lists.gnu.org convention of not
assuming people are subscribed, and use reply-to-all, and everything
works fine.

(And let's face it, MFT isn't a magic bullet; and the people who reply
to me off-list by mistake are always using dumb mail clients that don't
respect it anyway.)