help-debbugs

Bug in GNU Parted - mistakes MBR for a FAT32 partition

From: Sebastian Audet
Subject: Bug in GNU Parted - mistakes MBR for a FAT32 partition
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 01:46:54 -0500

I have a FAT32 partition on an MSDOS style disk (its actually an mSata drive connected through USB for ultimate installation in another hardware device that must read FAT32 - long story and tertiary to what I've found), and through much debugging of software, I believe I have found a rather bad bug in the Parted software.

Using the latest parted 3.2, when opening a device and creating a disk from said device, the msdos partition table detector will fail if the fat32 partition detector fails to fail. I'm not sure why, but parted thinks my boot sector (my MBR, the first sector on the disk) looks like a fat32 partition. This seems rather wrong, I'm not sure if there is a better bugtracker for this, apologies if this is not the correct bugtracker for Parted.

Regards,
Sebastian