help-debbugs

Re: Web interface to Debbugs SOAP service

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Web interface to Debbugs SOAP service
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 10:13:55 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello there,

Hi Ricardo,

> I wrote a Guile client for the Debbugs SOAP service[1] and have been
> using it in a web interface called Mumi[2].  I decided to make Mumi
> available as a public interface for the GNU Guix project, so I set it up
> on https://issues.guix.info.

Just for the records: likely, you know the Emacs ELPA package
"debbugs". It is an Emacs client to the debbugs servers, like your guile
client. It offers also Debbugs.wsdl, describing the bindings of the
debbugs SOAP interface. It is referenced to by the Debian debbugs server
as well.

> It’s a bit slow because some operations don’t work the way I’d expect.
> E.g. recent_bugs cannot be limited by package, or search_est cannot be
> made to only one match per bug, nor does it support filtering by
> open/done state.
>
> I heard that the GNU instance of Debbugs has diverged from upstream;
> will the changed be merged into upstream or is the GNU instance a fork?

Well, currently it looks like a fork, because we have started in 2009
and made our changes as needed. However, there are attempts to bring
this in a better shape. Noam Postavsky has started a git project to
identify the changes we have done on debbugs.gnu.org. See the whole
discussion in bug#26380.

It is the intention to re-synchronize with the Debian debbugs
project. However, first we need to move to a new server hosting
debbugs.gnu.org.

> If it is a fork, is this the right list to discuss proposed changes /
> additions to the SOAP interface?

I don't know of a better place. And for the search_est function: since
it exists only in the debbugs.gnu.org stanza, we could agree on whatever
interface extension you need. (Note, that I have authored this SOAP
function).