Re: [h-e-w] calling macros on several files

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] calling macros on several files
Date: 08 Oct 2001 18:19:23 -0500

On Monday, October 08, "Raymond Zeitler" <address@hidden> wrote:
>The way I do this is to load all the files I want to
>operate on into a single window/frame.

I don't understand this because, as far as I can tell,
there is no association between frames and buffers
aside from the set of buffers which are currently
_displayed_ in a given frame.  (Generally speaking, I
think that all buffers are accessible in all frames.)

>I record my macro in one buffer,

I don't understand this because macros are not
recorded "in" buffers.  Perhaps "while visiting".

>and before ending the macro, switch buffers using my
>own "switch buffers" routine, which merely buries
>buffers until one comes up whose name does not begin
>with an asterisk.

The technique could be made more precise with yet
another buffer which contains the names of the files
to be treated.

Nevertheless, I find it surprising that there is no
command in dired to "invoke this function in all the
marked buffers".  Such an option should be easy to
implement and is more powerful than just executing a
macro (noting that you can have a function which
invokes the last or a named keyboard macro).  It is
also potentially more powerful than doing a
query-replace on the marked buffers.  (With a macro,
you might wish to repeat it successively until hitting
the end of the buffer as with a zero argument to
call-last-kbd-macro.)

While I am 'complaining' about related dired
features:  I have suffered from the fact that
dired-do-query-replace command insists on a regexp
instead of allowing an exact match.  I have
encountered problems when the string I wished to
replace contained characters special to regexp search.
The function (the name of which escapes me at the
moment - Help!) which constructs a regexp which is
supposed to match a specific string did not solve this
problem for me.  (Eventually, _I_ have been able to
construct appropriate regexps, but it seemed to be an
unnecessary hassle.)

If I am missing something, please clue me in.

Regards,
  David V.