[h-e-w] Firewalls and smtpmail

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: [h-e-w] Firewalls and smtpmail
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 12:52:26 +0000 (GMT)

When I installed Sygate Personal Firewall on my Windows 98 machine,
smtp mail-send from Emacs stopped working.  When I uninstalled Sygate,
it worked again.  I am including a trace of messages from Emacs below.

---------------
mail to ?
Sending...
FQM: Message action (q, i, d, e, ?)? [queue]:
FQM: Immediate send...
Mark set
connection failed: socket operation on non-socket, smtp.blueyonder.co.uk, SMTP
Auto-saving...
connection failed: socket operation on non-socket, smtp.blueyonder.co.uk, SMTP

I am wondering if other people have had similar problems, and if they
found firewalls that cooperate well with Emacs packages.

Cheers,
Uday