RE: [h-e-w] ediff and customizations

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] ediff and customizations
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:44:19 -0600

Before you submit a bug report you should compare what the descriptions
of the split windows commands say they do to what you are seeing.  From
the information in both of your messages I cannot tell what is occurring
in either of your cases.

Here is what the 'splitting windows' info page says about these
functions:
  split-window-vertically breaks the selected window into two windows,
one above the other.
  split-window-horizontally breaks the selected window into two
side-by-side windows.

Using the window splitting functions can be confusing to some users
because to them the naming of the functions seems wrong, however there
is some logic to it.  The horizontal/vertical refers to the position of
the windows relative to each other, not to the orientation of the border
dividing them.  Although this made sense to the original author it seems
backward to many people (myself included) and for historical reasons I
assume that the names will not be changed.  For me it helps if I think
'create' rather than thinking 'split'.

J_)
C_)ingham
.    COMPAQ NonStop Integrity Systems
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire. -Dr. George W. Crane-