Re: [h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?
Date: 18 Dec 2001 10:39:59 -0500

Paul Rudin <address@hidden> (by way of Peter Davis <address@hidden>) writes:

>  >>>>> "PD" == Peter Davis <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   PD> I've been messing with gnus on and off for over a year, with
>   PD> emacs 19, 20, and now 21.  I *still* can't get it to handle mail
>   PD> the way I'd like.  In particular:
>
>   PD> 1) I can't get messages to print to a network printer.
>
> Can you get oter things to print from emacs? Or is this a
> gnus-specific problem?

I'm not sure.  I can't run Gnus from gnu emacs right now, so I'm
running it from XEmacs.  From there, if I go to a buffer and type 'C-c
p', I get a temp PostScript file written to a temp directory, but
that's it.  It doesn't print.

>   PD> 2) I can't get it to leave mail on a POP3 server so I can read it
>   PD> from multiple locations.  (I've read that epop3mail is able to do
>   PD> this, but I have not gotten it to work.)
>
> Dunno, I use imap which is much better than pop for this sort of
> thing. If your mail server groks imap I strongly recommend using this
> rather than pop.

Unfortunately, imap is not an option.

> > If you forced to use pop then you can tell gnus to use any program to
> actually get the mail - if you used (for example) the cygwin port of
> fetchmail then you can tell fetchmail to leave mail on the server.

That could be worthwhile.  One of my biggest complaints with gnus,
though, is the seemingly endless tinkering and jiggering with e-lisp.
I don't mind doing a certain amount of that, but as I said, I've been
using gnus on and off for over a year, and still haven't gotten it right.

>   PD> 3) I can't get it to do the "right thing" with HTML mail, which
>   PD> would be to allow me to either display it as plain text, or to
>   PD> open a browser (*not* W3) to display it.
>
> Not sure exactly, but if browse-url-of-buffer works for you then it
> should be possible to tinker around with the gnus to get it to invoke
> this automatically on html mail.

More tinkering.  I'm sure everything I've asked for is possible, but I
haven't managed to make it work yet.  I have one set of problems with
gnu emacs, and a different set with XEmacs, so it seems impossible to
find a configuration that will work with both.

Thanks,

-pd

--
--------
    Peter Davis                               Pageflex Inc