Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus, anyone?

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus, anyone?
Date: 21 Dec 2001 01:40:07 -0800

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, address@hidden wrote:

> 1) *Much* easier to configure and get running.

Gnus is notorious for causing one fits as a newbie.

> 2) Much faster overall (download time,

I don't know why this would be any faster based on the
downloading program.

> message display time,

Other than when Gnus needs to display htmlized messages, it is
very fast.  I would assume the html slowdown would happen with VM
as well.

> switching folder/group time, etc.)

Gnus sets alot of stuff up before actually showing you your
summary buffer.  So entering a group can take a little longer.  I
certainly don't notice that it is slow though, unless I'm
entering a group with hundreds or more unread messages.

> 3) UI is more like other mail readers.

gnus-add-configuration is the function you should take a look at.
My configuration at the moment looks like: (I'm trying the longer
summary buffer because the length of some subjects gets wide)

|          SUMMARY                                      |
|                                                       |
|       |                                               |
| GROUP |                                               |
|       |     ARTICLE                                   |
|       |                                               |
|       |-----------------------------------------------|
|       |     BBDB                                      |

Yesterday, I had the configuration:

|       |                                               |
|       | SUMMARY                                       |
|GROUP  |------------------------------------------------
|       | ARTICLE                                       |
|       | BBDB                                          |

> 4) Flexible support for "leave on server" functionality.

I believe they finally got this debugged with 21.1.

--
Galen deForest Boyer