Re: [h-e-w] "Ctrl" key wears out long before remaining keys

From: Michael R. Wolf
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] "Ctrl" key wears out long before remaining keys
Date: 19 Mar 2002 11:37:43 -0500

"Dr Francis J. Wright" <address@hidden> writes:

> "Michael R. Wolf" wrote:
> >
> > Most keyboards are not designed to take the load on the
> > "Ctrl" key that emacs users place on 'em.  And to a lesser
> > extent, there's a similar problem with the "Esc" key, though
> > since the key's smaller, it takes the stress better.
> >
> > I've worn through 2 Microsoft Natural Keyboards in about a
> > year of part time usage.  I tried to take it apart, clean
> > it, lube it, exercise it, but nothing seems to bring it back
> > once it starts binding.
> >
> > What do you do about this problem?
>
> I don't use a Microsoft Natural Keyboard.  I use keys such as Home/End,
> Page Up/Down, and I use the mouse a lot, which all takes pressure off
> Control combinations.  I also use Alt as the Meta key and so I hardly
> use the Esc key at all.

The very power of emacs for me is that I can use standard
home positions, so they touch typing skills I learned in
high school serve me.  "HOME" is not in my muscle memory
from "home position", and the mouse definately takes my
fingers away from home position.  And a mouse is an analog
device requiring eye/hand convergence.  Keys are binary
[digital if you will ;-)], and are always in the same place
for my muscle memory to tap.

Sounds like you're using the wordpad subset of emacs.  To
me, that's like using a chain saw without starting the
engine.  Sure, you can cut wood, but you're missing the
power of it all.  IMHO!!!  I'm happy for you, however.  If
you've found something that works for you, far be it for me
to impose my preferences.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!