[h-e-w] gnus-unplugged reading active file

From: Michael R. Wolf
Subject: [h-e-w] gnus-unplugged reading active file
Date: 29 Mar 2002 18:34:32 -0500

I call gnus-unplugged because my modem's offline and I don't have an
interet connection.  I still have a long period where I see
alternations of these two messages:

  Reading active file from netnews.worldnet.att.net via nntp...
  Garbage collecting...

If I leave it alone, it takes a long time, then moves on to updating
the local directories (nndraft:queue, nndraft:drafts, and any folders
that have new messages because of message movement), the real intent
of doing a 'g' in the first place.  If I control-G, it quits doing
whatever its doing while displaying the "active file" message.  It
*can't* be getting an active file, because I'm offline.  So why is it
wasting the time doing something?  And what is it doing?  And how can
I prevent it from doing such a time-consuming NO-OP?

Thanks,
Michael

--
Michael R. Wolf