Re: [h-e-w] eliminate creation of ~files

From: Paul Whitfield
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] eliminate creation of ~files
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:08:40 +0800

Zaleski, Alex wrote:
Hi,

Can someone tell me how I can suppress the creation of .extention~ files. Eg
if I edit newfile.sh it also creates a newfile.sh~.

The ~ file is a backup file.

One way to avoid this file in the current file is to setup a backup directory

See the Backup customisation group.

See the customisable variable "Backup Directory Alist",
This allows all of these file to be moved to a configurable
subdirectory... giving the advantage of the backup file and
none of the mess.

Otherwise you can disable backups altogether via the Make Backup
setting.

Regards

Paul