[h-e-w] Problem with end of file marker for NTEmacs v21.x on Win2k?

From: John Lee
Subject: [h-e-w] Problem with end of file marker for NTEmacs v21.x on Win2k?
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:20:52 -0400

I ran through the FAQ and browsed a few months of posts, but didn't see this posted, and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. The behavior I'm seeing (and I'm just hypothesizing here) is that the end of file marker isn't being marked right when the file shrinks in size, and so what gets written to disk is actually whatever is in my buffer, plus whatever data is on disk at the end of file, if the file is smaller than the original. Rather, it appears that my buffer saves correctly, but doesn't fix the end of file to denote that the file is smaller, leaving extra data from disk in the file. This is all under Windows 2000, using both 21.1 and 21.2 versions.

It's pretty odd, because I don't see it in my emacs window unless I save, exit, and re-open the file. (I noticed it because I was editing HTML, and when the file shrank, I started seeing extra garbage at the end of the web page in my web browser.) I ended up downgrading to 20.7, which doesn't seem to have that problem.

Has anyone else seen this behavior before, and if so, is there an easy solution? I like to run the latest and greatest, and while 20.7 isn't bad, it's not 21.x. ;)

- John