[h-e-w] Re: Global search/replace across files?

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Global search/replace across files?
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:32:12 -0400

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but after I mark the 100 or so files I want to
perform a search and replace on, and press Q, and enter the search and
replacement regexps, I'm forced to press ! about 100 times to do the
replacement on all the files.  I tried using a prefix argument C-u in front of
Q, but it then it replaces 0 occurrences.

This is Emacs 21.2 on Win2K.

Shouldn't Q (dired-do-query-replace-regexp) have a "no ask" option?

Shouldn't the mode line indicate how many files are marked?

Right now, it's better for me to use my file manager to drag the files I want
to change into Emacs and then write a macro to iterate each file, saving it in
the process.  Incidentally, why isn't there something like a
dired-find-marked-files command?  And if "Most commands operate on the marked
files..." why doesn't "f" (dired-find-file)?  Can't I even visit the marked
files?  Do I really have to use Explorer to visit them?

I'll stop now before my ranting causes you to shoot me.  :)