[h-e-w] NTemacs writes outside its window.

From: Richard M. Heiberger
Subject: [h-e-w] NTemacs writes outside its window.
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:05:21 -0400 (EDT)

Several times NTemacs 21.3
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of 2003-03-27 on buffy
has written in an adjacent window instead of its own.  YAP most often
(the dvi displayer part of MikTeX), although I think that is incidental.

My best guess is that it happens when the XP Windows Task manager says
emacs is about 40MB and when I have more than 256 open buffers
(240 regular buffers and another 32 hidden buffers (with " " as the
first character of the buffer name).

C-l brings the emacs display back to normal.  Then a few commands later
(probably page up or page down) emacs writes in the wrong window again.
As near as I can tell, the contents of the emacs buffers are not damaged.
I kill emacs and restart emacs.  Then everything is normal again.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 1 with a whole
.bunch of weekly MS updates.

I sense two problems, one is that some variable in the C code for emacs is
overflowing.  The other is that Windows is allowing the erroneous emacs
internal screen writing call to write in a screen area that should be blocked.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?
Can one of the maintainers figure out what is happening?

Thanks
Rich