Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv for mail, news, and file association

From: Matthias Rempe
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv for mail, news, and file association
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:02:06 +0200

    MRW> addtional "the other way" cases I'd like to have work
    MRW> are...
    MRW>
    MRW> 1. click on mailto link current: open Outlook Express
    MRW>    desired:
    MRW> open gnus (or even mail-user-agent for those mh, sendmail
    MRW> folks)

    MRW> 2. click on a news:// link current: open Outlook Express
    MRW> desired: open gnus (or even mail-user-agent for those mh,
    MRW> sendmail folks)

I use (experimental versions of) GnuMAPI.dll and gnu-mapi.el for these
tasks -- see short description below.

Both programs are written by Syver Enstad who wanted to publish them
last year. I haven't heard of him since then but will try to contact
him to ask about publishing the programs.

With GnuMAPI, I can also use the "send to" function in e.g. Word or
Acrobat to send mails with vm instead of OE or Outlook. I actually
don't have OE nor Outlook installed on my machine.

,----
| ;;; gnu-mapi.el --- support file for GnuMapi, the GNU simple
| ;;; mapi server
|
| ;; Copyright (C) 2002 Syver Enstad
| ;;
| ;; Author: Syver Enstad <address@hidden>
| ;;
| ;; Maintainer: Syver Enstad <address@hidden>
| ;; Version: $Id: gnu-mapi.el,v 1.10 2002/03/30 03:00:43 syver Exp $
|
| [...]
|
| ;;; Commentary:
| ;;; The file contains support functions needed by the
| ;;; GnuMapi.dll for sending mail with Gnus or other mail user agents.
| ;;; It also contains support functions for handling mailto: and
| ;;; news:/nntp: urls. These are routed to the functions in this file
| ;;; via registry settings.
`----

Matthias
--