Re: [h-e-w] Problems with GnuServ on laptop when network changes

From: Karel Sprenger
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problems with GnuServ on laptop when network changes
Date: 18 Feb 2004 21:02:59 +0100

Mark,

>>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:01:03 -0600, Mark Ludwig (ML) wrote:
ML>
ML> I have not dug into it too far yet, but it appears that GnuServ
ML> locks up when I switch network interfaces on my laptop.  In my
ML> configuration, this happens regularly when I dock and undock the
ML> laptop.
ML>
ML> I am not using the networking functions (which I find intriguing,
ML> and may wish to use in the future).  I currently only use it
ML> on-host from an Explorer extension I call "Edit with Emacs."
ML>
ML> Does anyone here understand what™s happening and have
ML> suggestions about how to fix it?
ML>
ML> A workaround I would consider is some sort of automation that
ML> detects the network switch and kills/restarts whatever needs
ML> bouncing.  I would even accept that this may require bouncing
ML> Emacs itself.

There are three versions of gnuserv around: two that use Windows
mailslots and one that uses tcp/ip.

The first two are the one in the /gnu/windows/emacs/contrib/ directory
on ftp.gnu.org (files are dated 1996) and a version by Nico Francois
and modified slightly by Pete Kaiser <address@hidden>. The files in
this distribution are from 1996 and 1997.

The third one is by Guy Gascoigne - Piggford <address@hidden> (from
1999). It is a port of the original Internet socket version of gnuserv
to NT and Win95. This is the one for which there are hyperlinks in the
GNU Emacs FAQ For Windows 95/98/ME/NT/XP and 2000.

My guess  is that you  are using this  last version. You could  try the
other versions, but I suggest you first try "M-x server-start" when you
have (un)docked your laptop. This will kill the running gnuserv process
and start a new one.

Cheers,
Karel

--