[h-e-w] Accents in environment variables - HOME

From: sherkin.freesbee
Subject: [h-e-w] Accents in environment variables - HOME
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:51:33 +0200

Hi everybody,

I encounter a problem which is likely related to
Filipe Martins's : [h-e-w] A small bug in NTEmacs

In my case, this is about HOME, which is, on my
French Windows XP home edition,
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Propriétaire",
since I took its value from %USERPROFILE%
("Propriétaire" is the name of admin when Windows is installed.
I changed its user name to "Michelle" to avoid accents, but it didn't
change %username% nor %userprofile%)

But emacs, when started with runemacs utility,
thinks it is "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Propri\202taire"

I tested various coding systems but couldn't find what
conversion what used.

; What is used as "~" when emacs is started with runemacs
(getenv "HOME")
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Propri\202taire"
; When emacs is launched directly, i get:
; "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Propri\351taire"
; which leads to my real profile directory.

; this is set par Windows
(getenv "USERNAME")

; what %USERNAME% really is (:
(setq user "Propriétaire")

(encode-coding-string user 'iso-latin-1-dos)

(encode-coding-string user 'latin-1)

(encode-coding-string user 'iso-2022-7bit-ss2)

(encode-coding-string user 'raw-text)

(encode-coding-string user 'utf-8)

(encode-coding-string user 'latin-9)

I wouldn't like to change my HOME environment variable,
since I think other GNU, or other programs use it.

For now, my emacs personal files stay in
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Propri,taire" ...
isn't that ugly !

Maybe a fix could reside in runemacs.c ?

Thanks in advance,