Re: [h-e-w] Accents in environment variables - HOME

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Accents in environment variables - HOME
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:53:49 +0200

Hi Michelle,

"sherkin.freesbee" <address@hidden> writes:
> In my case, this is about HOME, which is, on my
> [. . . ]
> But emacs, when started with runemacs utility,
> thinks it is "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Propri\202taire"
>
> I tested various coding systems but couldn't find what conversion
> what used.

The caller of (getenv) is supposed to use locale-coding-system with
the result according to recent (getenv) documentation.  What is the
value of that variable?  And to what does this expression evaluate:

  (decode-coding-string (getenv "HOME") locale-coding-system)

You probably want to make sure that locale-coding-system is set to
'iso-latin-1 for your environment.

benny