Re: [h-e-w] Emacs not finding the ".emacs" file

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs not finding the ".emacs" file
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:33:52 -0400

Three things.

First of all, to set an environment variable from within a BAT or CMD
file, the correct syntax is:

Set HOME=c:\HOME\rmh

Mr. Heiberger left off the "set" part.  Do *not* include any spaces
around the equals sign.  And Windows doesn't understand "$Home."  It's
either %Home% within a batch file, or Home at the command line.

Second, the Windows binaries come with addpm.exe, which modifies the
Windows registry.  This is an alternative to using the "set home"
command and adding the emacs\bin directory to your computer's path.  The
home directory key resides in HKCU/Software/Gnu/Emacs/Home and would
contain a path with forward slashes: c:/HOME/rmh , for example.  This is
a great way to set $Home if the computer is to be used by more than one
person.

Third, I've been using Emacs for four years.  In all this time, Emacs
has used C:\ has the home directory in the absence of other
instructions.  I haven't upgraded to 21.3 yet, but I doubt that Emacs
will set Home to %userprofile%.  I know that the version I use, 21.2.1,
does not use %userprofile% for $Home.

HTH