Re: [h-e-w] Integrating Emacs with Microsoft Word, in some way...

From: Christopher G D Tipper
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Integrating Emacs with Microsoft Word, in some way...
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:10:30 +0100

On 23 Sep 2004 at 8:06, Mathias Dahl wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> At work I am doing a great deal of writing in Word and as a vivid Emacs user I
> can be a bit frustrated sometimes as I miss certain text manipulating and
> cursor
> movement commands that I am used to.

What are you looking for? Emacs keybindings in Word? Not possible.

> MS Word is the "standard" for writing specifications in my company so using
> something else (TeX, pure HTML or whatever) is out of the question.
>
> I can, of course, write most of the text in Emacs and then just paste it into
> Word where it can be formatted, or at least indented (I use "Outline mode" in
> Word a lot) in the correct way. But it feels awkward to this manually.

Try opening the document in Word and using Autoformat. Works like magic
if you can decipher the algorithm. Even recognizes bulleted lists.

> Some time back I created a VBA macro that converted an Emacs Outline buffer
> into
> indented text (for each "*" in a section, the text was "promoted" ons step)
> and
> it worked quite good, but it does not work that well when you also have to
> deal
> with pictures and tables in combination.

Not sure there is a way of parsing markup in Word. I can use Word to
generate XML, but that's not what you're looking for.

> Does anyone else here have the same "problem" and have you some other neat
> tricks than can help me avoid typing in Word as much as possible?

Not sure you can get away without writing some software. Word wasn't
designed to process markup, just text.

> Btw, I don't think that tools like AntiWord is what I need in this case. My
> intention is not to *read* Word docs in Emacs.

Not sure what you need. Can you give us more information?

Christopher
  "Since light travels faster than sound, isn't that why
   some people appear bright until you hear them speak"
                                          - Steve Wright