Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:15:09 -0700

Jason Rumney wrote:

What exactly doesn't work when the default behaviour is to not wait?

Who knows what programs someone might want to use gnuclientw
from. Some of them might have the same bug as Explorer Shortcuts on
Windows 9x and NT where they cannot specify any arguments. I think it is
more important that gnuclientw and emacsclient works for them than for
it to exit immediately just because some people happen to like it as
the default behaviour with no justification.

Well I'm not sure I'd say no justification, but perhaps less need on a modern Windows.

Personally the thought of having a lot of gnuclients hanging around in the process list for absolutely no reason strikes me at ugly. I do realise that they aren't awfully significant from a memory point of view and eventually the sockets will time out and close then the gnuclient will just go away anyway, But when gnuclient is used as a point of Explorer intergration then we know there's no need to wait so we chose not to.

To be completely honest I've not come across a single Windows (not console) app where I'd want to install a separate editor and have it wait for the result, I'm not saying that they don't exist, just that it's really easy to use Windows a lot for a lot of divers things and never come across this need. I do have quite a few command line tools that expect an external editor to wait around (not to suprisingly they are all unix ports).

So I guess I'm saying that what the correct behaviour is, is all dependant on what your end goal actually is. My take on this was attempting to make Windows intergration easier with the bonus of keeping pretty good compatability with the unix version of gnuclient. I still think that the easiest way to do this is to just add something like -w to gnuclient and allow it to hang around if you need it to.

Finally this is talking about *gnuclient* which since it's been a common tool of this sort on Windows has a lot to be gained by remaining compatible with it's previous behaviour. I am assuming that with no previous version of emacsclient being available on Windows, that any emacsclient port may have slightly different priorities.

Effectively: I think that what seemed like a good idea as a change to gnuclientw back in 1998 still seems good enough to not reverse. I'm not sure I'd make that change if I was doing the same coding now since machines and OSs have changed enough to make it less of an issue.

Guy