RE: [h-e-w] Registry and installation scripts

From: Dr Francis J Wright
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Registry and installation scripts
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 14:00:26 +0100

> From:
> address@hidden

I don't think there is really a problem.  NTEmacs is just GNU Emacs compiled
as a native Windows application.

As far as I'm aware, NTEmacs has read the registry for a long time (probably
as long as it has existed), but it doesn't write to the registry, and I
can't see off hand why it would ever need to.  It's addpm that writes to the
registry, but running addpm is optional (and has been for some time).
NTEmacs uses registry values if they are there, but doesn't care if they are
not.

The GNU Emacs source code will be freely available for the foreseeable
future.  So, even if various precompiled, prepackaged versions are
available, it will always be possible to compile from source and ignore the
packaging.

Francis