Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Re: Control frame size on startup from .emacs

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Re: Control frame size on startup from .emacs
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:11:32 -0400

> From: "Neil J Mackie" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 13:01:09 +0100
>
> Can anyone contribute how emacs is being officially developed on the Windows
> platform and whether the use of the registry and installation scripts are
> sanctioned or not?

FWIW, I agree completely with the "no registry" comments.

The current scheme - untar - is simple and bug free.  The last thing I
want is a complicated and buggy install program spewing files and
registry keys all over the place.

Uninstall is currently equally simple - delete the directory.

It's also great to be able to copy emacs from one machine to another
by drag 'n dropping one directory.

I have the sense that the registry is a primitive copy protection.
Since it's magic for most users, it prevents people from sharing
programs by just zipping up a directory.  Since emacs is GPL, why
inhibit sharing?

--
Ken Goldman   address@hidden   914-784-7646