Re: [h-e-w] Saving in utf-16-le encoding

From: Tom Capey
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Saving in utf-16-le encoding
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:19:52 +0100

* PaulBowman <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm running Emacs 21.3.1 on NT4. I've got used to using
> C-x-<RET>-C utf-16-le ... to read in files in Windows unicode
> format. However when I try and use the same preliminary to save
> a file in the same encoding I get a message:

> Symbol's function definition is void: utf-16-le-pre-write-conversion

> How can I fix this?

  The current CVS emacs has no problems but doesn't use this
  function.  There's an intermediary version of Dave Love's
  utf-16.el that has this function.  I can email you the whole
  file if required, but here's the disembodied defun:

(defun utf-16-le-pre-write-conversion (beg end)
  "Semi-dummy pre-write function effectively to autoload ucs-tables."
  ;; Ensure translation table is loaded, if available.
  (require 'ucs-tables nil t)
  ;; Don't do this again.
  (coding-system-put 'mule-utf-16-le 'pre-write-conversion nil)
  nil)

/Tom
--
I for one welcome our new key-chord-requiring self-documenting
extensible OS-in-an-editor Emacs overlord. -- Jock Cooper

--- Disclaimer ---

Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing by a Director of Edina Software,
this communication is to be treated as confidential and the information in it
may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent.
If you have reason to believe that you are not the intended recipient of this
communication, please contact the sender immediately.