Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:39:40 +0100

Ken Goldman wrote:
In general the docs are not very useful for creating a .emacs.  As
I've been "reporting as bugs" for years, the reason is that it has no
sample code.  There seems to be a philosophical objection to putting
sample code in the documentation.

Here's an example:

Suppose I want to set the color for comments.  I figure out that the
variable is font-lock-face-attributes.

That variable does not exist in the latest (unreleased) code for Emacs, so it obviously isn't the variable you want. That is the problem with using other peoples' .emacs files you find through Google, wikis etc. as your source of information.

If instead you look at the documentation for font-lock (which is the first match you see if you use apropos-documentation to search for "syntax highlighting", which is what most people would call such coloring of comments), then you will see:

To customize the faces (colors, fonts, etc.) used by Font Lock for fontifying different parts of buffer text, use M-x customize-face.

So no sample code needed - the configuration is done through custom.