Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32; tramp trouble with Tru64

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32; tramp trouble with Tru64
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 16:10:43 +0100

Phil Betts wrote:

I'm using an ftp.exe that was recommended with the original EmacsNT.  It
was the only one I could get to work reliably.  I'm sorry I don't have
any more info, but my guess is it was a BSD port based on the source
control IDs:

 @(#)cmds.c      5.18 (Berkeley) 4/20/89
 @(#)cmdtab.c    5.9 (Berkeley) 3/21/89
 @(#)domacro.c   1.6 (Berkeley) 2/28/89
 @(#)ftp.c       5.28 (Berkeley) 4/20/89
 @(#) Copyright (c) 1985, 1989 Regents of the University of California.
 @(#)main.c      based on 5.13 (Berkeley) 3/14/89
 @(#)ruserpass.c 5.1 (Berkeley) 3/1/89

$ ls -l /c/Emacs/bin/ftp.exe -rwx------+ 1 Guest None 114688 Dec 23 1997 /c/Emacs/bin/ftp.exe*

It wasn't distributed with source.  I could PM you a copy of the exe.

Yes, please do so I can compare with the one I have. Do you remember where you downloaded it from? I have a link here to an ftp program here, is that the program you are using:

  http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

See "What the patches contains".

I'll try to test the gnuwin32 version later today, but I'm guessing
it'll have the same problems as the linux ftp because they'll be essentially the same program.

The root of the problem appears to be that the Tru64 version of ftpd
accepts the EPSV command without properly supporting the semantics of
the mode.  A mechanism using .netrc to disable this mode on a per-site
basis would be ideal.

If I don't get chance to test the gnuwin32 version today, the next chance I have will be Monday, so don't wait up.

Thanks.