[h-e-w] Problem of display of emacs under Windows 98

From: Dave Man
Subject: [h-e-w] Problem of display of emacs under Windows 98
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:32:12 +0800

Hi all emacs users,

I am a newbie of emacs and BSD and am very eager to get the hang of
it. I am trying to run the precompiled emacs for windows
(emacs-23.1-bin-i386.zip) on my 10-year-old laptop running Windows 98
SE. The runemacs.exe runs, but the toolbar icons and the main frame
cannot be displayed.
Here is a screenshot:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2573/3949708022_6f3ba092db_o.jpg
Running with -nw option is fine, though. I need the window mode as I
want to use CJK input methods directly.
I have both downloaded and even compiled libxpm.dll (using GCC for
mingw) but to no avail. The laptop is running with 16-bit display
only.
The interesting thing is the same emacs binary runs perfectly under XP
on another newer machine (32-bit display).
What would be the cause of the issue? Any suggestion is much appreciated!

Dave