[h-e-w] crash recovery - punctuation displaying as octal codes

From: Joseph Buchignani
Subject: [h-e-w] crash recovery - punctuation displaying as octal codes
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 06:16:27 +0800

I'm using EmacsW32 on XP. I had a crash. After reboot, the emacs file was corrupted. All punctuation marks - apostrophes, dashes, etc and chinese characters - now displayed as octal codes. I manually replaced some of the damaged punctuation with M-x string-replace. However the chinese characters and exotic punctuations are irretrievable.

To be clear, I can enter punctuation into the file normally. It's only punctuation that existed before the crash that now looks like an octal code. For example, something like \200\300\241 (that's the format, I made those numbers up).

I've read a lot of confusing information about setting character sets and encodings. But all that's working fine, I just need to recover the damaged octals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ignore the following. It is a nonsense sentence that disables Google ads from displaying next to my emails by triggering sensitive keywords.

I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a messy bloodbath.