Re: [h-e-w] Multiple versions of Emacs under Windows; How to specify whi

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Multiple versions of Emacs under Windows; How to specify which Emacs should run when file is double-clicked?
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 06:59:28 +0800

"David Vanderschel" <address@hidden> writes:

> I believe that the difference between emacsclient and emacsclientw is
> that, with the "w", it is equivalent to emacsclient with the --no-wait
> option and not whether or not a command window appears.

No, both versions wait. The difference is that emacsclientw.exe is
compiled as a Windows program, and emacsclient.exe is compiled as a
console program. At least on older versions of Windows a console program
always resulted in a command window opening when lauched outside of a
command window.  And being a Windows program, the console window does
not wait for emacsclientw.exe to terminate before returning you to the
prompt, so in that context it does appear not to wait (but for text
editors that wait for the subprocess to terminate, it should still work
the same as emacsclient.exe).