Re: [h-e-w] Multiple versions of Emacs under Windows; How to specify whi

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Multiple versions of Emacs under Windows; How to specify which Emacs should run when file is double-clicked?
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 22:43:12 +0100

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
> "David Vanderschel" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I believe that the difference between emacsclient and emacsclientw is
>> that, with the "w", it is equivalent to emacsclient with the --no-wait
>> option and not whether or not a command window appears.
>
> No, both versions wait.
..
> And being a Windows program, the console window does
> not wait for emacsclientw.exe to terminate before returning you to the
> prompt, so in that context it does appear not to wait (but for text
> editors that wait for the subprocess to terminate, it should still work
> the same as emacsclient.exe).

We have discussed this before on the Emacs Devel list. My conclusion
was that the windows version (i.e. emacsclientw.exe) should not wait -
because if it does that gives problems for some programs starting it
since you can not give the switch --no-wait in all such cases. (Not
for cmd.exe though.)

I think I therefore had a patch for this before in my Emacs+EmacsW32
distro, but it seems to have been lost in some merging. (Or I might
have made a mistake myself and thought that this patch was not needed
any more, I am not sure.)

Unfortunately I have not time to check such things over and over again
and fix them so I would be glad if this was changed in Emacs sources
instead of my Emacs+EmacsW32 distribution. The patch is needed, at
least in some cases.