Re: [h-e-w] launching emacs

From: Greg
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] launching emacs
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 14:30:08 +0000 (UTC)

Gary Oberbrunner <garyo <at> genarts.com> writes:

> For #3, I don't have a good answer yet.  I know you start at Control Panel,
Default Programs, Set Association,
> then  find .txt, .el, whatever you like.  But how can you specify options to
the program here?  I don't know
> how, without hand-editing the registry.
> If you can figure it out though, you want to set those file types to open
with:
>   emacsclientw.exe -na runemacs.exe "%1"

On Windows I use the ASSOC and FTYPE commands to manage file associations from
the command line. For example, this should work for elisp files:

C:\> assoc .el=EmacsLisp
C:\> ftype EmacsLisp=emacsclientw.exe -na emacsclientw.exe "%1"

For file associations like this I usually use the full path to the executable
(s), but of course if your path is set up then this should be fine.

Two other things to consider:

1. Add Emacs to the 'Send To...' context menu. You can do this (on WinXP, paths
slightly different on Win7) by creating a shortcut in C:\Documents and Settings
\<user>\SendTo. Just create a new shortcut named Emacs and set the target to
eg.:

"C:\Program Files\Emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe" -na "C:\Program Files\Emacs\bin
\runemacs.exe"

2. Add an 'Open With' context menu item. This /does/ require editing the
registry as far as I know. This is described in various places, here's one link:
http://www.johndcook.com/emacs_windows.html#explorer

--
Greg