Re: flex beta 2.5.23 released

From: Bruce Lilly
Subject: Re: flex beta 2.5.23 released
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:30:32 -0500

W. L. Estes wrote:
On Monday, 25 November 2002,09:40 -0500, Bruce Lilly wrote:

That would still be a problem as flex would then
*require* the C99 extensions to ANSI C.  It would
be completely incompatible with K&R C.

Careful, Bruce. We're going for ANSI compliance. K&R C is not our
goal--although flex has some K&R code in it, if memory serves.

Indeed it does; e.g. K&R declarations.  My implicit point is that
if pre-C99 compatibility is to be abandoned (and therefore K&R
compatibility as well), then there are other things, such as the
K&R declarations, that should be revised; conversely if there is
to be any semblance of portability to pre-C99 systems, use of
C99-specific types isn't going to work.

There are some changes in the flexint.h header in flex beta
2.5.24. Could you have a look at it and tell us how it works for you?

Will do.

We've thought about defining our own types. It's really a matter of
where and how we want our headaches. We would probably still want
types that explicitly say how big they should be because it will help
in the programming of flex. E.g. flex_int32_t. That solution would
require some recoding, but hopefully it could be done easily. All this
is still open, of course.

Unless I'm mistaken, *exact* sizes aren't necessary; what is needed is
assurance that a particular type is sufficiently large to hold some
number (state number, source code line number, etc.).

> The real issue that we're dealing with is
the varying degrees to which systems conform to various
standards. flex is trying to find a happy medium and is succeeding to
a certain extent. The systems where flex does not quite succeed in its
latest beta incarnations present very odd problems. We're trying to
figure them out. The more helpful and detailed problem reports that we
get, the more we can do.

I suspect that part of the problem is the assumption that gcc is always
right, which is not a valid assumption.  Solicitation of tests on non-gcc
systems would probably reveal a number of issues.  In the specific case
under discussion, gcc has the intN_t types defined in the wrong place.