flex with multiple input buffers

From: Rüdiger Härtel
Subject: flex with multiple input buffers
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:26:45 +0200

Hello all,

my question involves both flex and bison. If I am wrong here please say so.

I set up a scanner/parser programme using flex/bison. Now I want to use it
within a server. I was able to use it in a server that only can handle on
connection at a time.
The next step would be to handle many conncetions. But here I have problems in
understanding how this would work, since the parser doesn´t know anything
about the different connections the input can come from.
Basically I have to ideas:

1/ save the state of the parser in some kind of structure and when the scanner
changes to an other socket restore the states of the parser

2/ each new connection starts an other process.

To 1/
This is the solution I´d like. But is this already prepared in bison ? If not,
which states do I have to save ?

To 2/
This probably is a clean solution but since the programme will run on Linux
and Windows I want to avoid it. A second reason is that the server will
provide access to an exclusive device and I then would need some kind of
communication between the processes.

Did someone have this problem too ? How did you solve it ? Can you provide the
sources as an example ?