Re: Including mathematical symbols in STRING token

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Including mathematical symbols in STRING token
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:12:06 +0200

At 13:05 +0530 2003/06/24, <address@hidden> wrote:
>Hi,
>    I am working on a parser in which STRING token consists of all the
>possible characters, like =,/,+ etc. But these are also needed to be
>taken as having its usual meaning (mathematical operators, etc). What
>is the best method to get the desired result. Is it necessary to use
>only quoted strings (between " ") or we can do with usual unquoted
>strings ?

A drawback with "..." is that the opening and closing delimiters are the
same, which makes typos harder to detect.

So I ended up using `...' with ` prohibited inside the string (as a
safeguard against human typos) plus the usual C style \ (backslash) escape
sequences.

There is an example in the Flex manual how to implement C strings.

  Hans Aberg