Re: Latest Flex 2.6 code & doc

From: john43
Subject: Re: Latest Flex 2.6 code & doc
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:21:41 -0400

>How is work on the latest flex going? I am interested
in the final product
>(currently using 2.5.26). Do you have an estimate when
this will be
>released?

End of summer, perhaps? We were planning to release two
months ago, but two things happened:

(1) The new code uses fork/wait/pipe, and the Windows
people don't like that.

(2) The new code uses GNU m4, and the BSD people don't
like that.

Our solution for (1) is to use temporary files and many
passes. I'm not sure it is a reasonable fix, though.

Our solution for (2) is currently to distribute GNU m4
along with flex.