help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] gengetopt and gmake

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] gengetopt and gmake
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:48:35 +0200

Kevin Musker wrote:
Hi,

Apollogies for not replying sooner.

Hmmm, probably should have thought of that. What is it they say about
the simple solutions... :)

sorry I don't understand, is it a question?

I still don't really like the idea of having stray h/cc files lying
around, but the main thing is that they don't get checked in.

so does the .cvsignore solution work?

you could also add the two generated files in the CLEANFILES variable (or DISTCLEANFILES).

My only concern in generating the .h and the .c separetely is that they heavily depend on each other, and when one changes the other will surely change too, and so they might become inconsistent if they're not generated at the same time...

hope to hear from you soon
cheers
        Lorenzo

Thanks for your help,

Kevin.

Kevin Musker wrote:
This succeeds in building the targets, but only because when it looks
for either of the files, both are created.

This causes problems at the end, when gmake deletes all intermediate
files. Because it didn't generate some
of them, they just appeared (in the case of one of the .c files -
produced from applying the rule to a required getopt
header), then gmake thinks that it existed all along, and so it
doesn't
delete the file upon completion.

I know it's a really picky case, but if these generated files end up
lying around, they will get checked into the
source repository...

Hi

if I understand the problem well, all you need to do is to add the
generated files into your .cvsignore file...

am I right?

cheers
           Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD in Computer Science                            |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Florence - Italy        (GNU/Linux User # 158233)  |
|  Home Page        : http://www.lorenzobettini.it    |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://www.purplesucker.com Deep Purple Cover Band |
|  http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite           |