help-global

generating one tags database for multiple sub-projects

From: vg23
Subject: generating one tags database for multiple sub-projects
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:51:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,
I just started using Global, and it seems like a really great tool which
would be very useful for my purposes if it can be used in the following
situation:
In the code that I have to work with, there are a number of subprojects
that are located in separate source trees, an arragement of the
following form:
commonroot/project1/devel/src/(a source tree here)
commonroot/project2/devel/src/(another tree)
commonroot/library3/src/(a yet another tree)
and so forth.
The code in any given tree might refer to code in another tree.
It would be really great if it were possible to get gtags/htags to
generate a single database for the whole project, as opposed to having a
separate set of G* files in each source tree.
Unfortunately, I do not have the permission to write into commonroot!
(furthermore, even if i did--there are other (large) projects in the
commonroot that I don;t need to be included in the tags database). I tried
setting up another directory containing symlinks to the appropriate
project source trees, but running gtags from there produced an small file
that had no  symbols in it (I guess it doesn't follow symlinks?).
Any advice on getting around this problem would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Regards,
        Vadim G.