help-global

Tags versus Symbols

From: Oviedo Javier-PKJ843
Subject: Tags versus Symbols
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 17:28:29 -0400

Hello all.

Just discovered GLOBAL today and like it very much...however there is one issue that will be the deciding factor on whether I can use it or not. Hopefully I can...

I am seeing structure elements not being defined as tags and instead as symbols. Let's take the following example structure below:

typedef struct {
    VpDevCtxType *pDevCtx;       /* Pointer to device Context */
    uint8 channelId;             /* Channel identity */
    VpLineCtxType *pLineCtx;     /* Pointer to Line Context */
    VpTermType termType;         /* Termination Type */
    VpLineIdType lineId;         /* Application system wide line identifier */
} VpLineInfoType;
From a source file, foo.c, running 'xgtags-find-tag' on VpLineInfoType takes me to this structure. So far so good. When I run 'xgtags-find-tag' on one of the elements of this structure, pDevCtx for example, the tag is not found. Using CTAGS, I can jump to this tag without issue.

I tried running 'xgtags-find-symbol' but that seems to give me ALL references to the symbol pDevCtx. This is very unmanageable as I want to simply get a concise list of definitions, not references. Why do these structure elements appear in the SYM file instead of TAGS. Is there some configuration parameter I'm missing?

Is there anyway I can remedy this situation? I like the reference capabilities of GLOBAL but need to have tag handling like ctags, ectags, etags, etc.

Please help...

Thanks in advance.
Javier