[Help-glpk] slow matrix generation compared to AMPL

From: kendall bailey
Subject: [Help-glpk] slow matrix generation compared to AMPL
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 09:29:06 -0500

I received a .mod and .dat file from a colleague using AMPL, and tried to run glpsol --check on it. I've added "data;" and "end;" statements where appropriate and everything worked fine. The problem is that it took over 24 hours to complete, where AMPL takes 1 minute. I'm not solving the LP, just reading the model and data. The data file is about 82MB. My hardware is comparable to his (1 GB memory), so I don't think its a case of excessive swapping. The AMPL output says there are 262,048 constraints and 555,805 variables. Presolve with CPLEX eliminates 228,807 constraints and 390,539 variables. I'm not planning on trying to solve the LP with glpk, but thought about doing matrix generation (i.e. create an MPS file).

My question is whether it would pay to profile the code to find why it is so much slower than AMPL? Could there be some poor memory management issue that is causing quadratic behavior (or worse) in the matrix generation phase? Or is this more likely something very difficult to fix?

Thanks,
Kendall