Re: [Help-glpk] xmalloc, thread-safety

From: Klas Markström
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] xmalloc, thread-safety
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:09:33 +0200

> How hard is it to make a parallel version of GLPK at the moment? It
> seems like the new functionality in 4.20 and 4.21 may be directed
> towards that? Are there any plans to provide a parallel GLPK?

I did not consider that. However, solution of active subproblems in
the mip solver could be parallelized in a natural way. The problem is
that the standard C has no features for parallel programming.
Andrew Makhorin

For at least some of the search-modes, where one has a pool of subproblems to be evaluated independently,  one could parallelise in a quite simple way using OpenMP.  OpenMP instructions are  is simply inserted as comments in  the C-code and the compiler, if it supports OpenMP, then takes care of the parallelisation.

http://www.openmp.org

/Klas

Klas Markström                       email: address@hidden
fax:   (+46)90 786 52 22
phone: (+46)90 786 97 21
Department of Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics
Umeå universitet
S-901 87 Umea, Sweden