Re: [Help-glpk] OPB output file anomaly

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] OPB output file anomaly
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 00:50:13 +0300

>> You could write your instance also in cplex format specifying the
>> option '--wcpxlp outfile' along with '--wopb' and then check both
>> the files. AFAIK cplex lp format is very similar to opb format.
>>

> I did as you suggested and it was quite illustrative.  The formats
> are indeed very similar. For my empty LHS constraints in OPB:

> <= 15
> <= 15
> etc.

> The cplex format has:

> Departure_Rate(LAS,3): 0 w(AC12_11,DUMMY_DST,151) <= 15
> Departure_Rate(LAS,4): 0 w(AC12_11,DUMMY_DST,151) <= 15
> etc.

> So it does look like these constraints are trivially satisfied if I
> am interpreting the output correctly.

In cplex format there is the same picture, i.e. it does not permit
empty left-hand side, so the output routine uses a first variable
with zero coefficient to make a fake lhs. I do not know whether opb
format allows zero coefficients or not.

>   So I guess that would be a good
> little patch in the lpx_write_pb() function.  Line 129 looks like this:

> k=glp_get_mat_row(lp, j, ndx, val);

> Immediately following this line I added:

> if( k == 0 ) continue;

> And the empty LHS inequalities went away.  It may have broken
> something else for all I know, but maybe Oscar could let us know if
> adding that line hurts anything else.

There should be a check for infeasible empty rows, i.e. rows like
0 <= -3 or 0 >= +3. If such rows are removed, the routine must issue
at least a warning message that the original instance is infeasible.