Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK for Pattern Recognition

From: Nigel Galloway
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK for Pattern Recognition
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 13:14:22 +0100

> ----- Original Message -----
You may find that it helps to seperate finding the best fit from finding the
points which define the line. When I was looking at this earlier in the year I
came up with yacfs.mod (see glpk examples). BigMing that produces good results
for test data which actually represents a single line.

However general data doesn't always provide insight that a special case does.
Looking at seperating two paralell lines proved difficult because if you have a
good line it wants to be mid way between the two.

Not careing about the line being a good fit produces attachments
http://www.geocities.com/nigel_galloway/parl1.JPG and
http://www.geocities.com/nigel_galloway/parl2.JPG
. While neither line is a good fit it does in each case identify the
points which lie on a line. parl2.jpg also demonstrates that it chooses the
line with most points. The points on the line can then be taken and yacfs.mod
applied to find the best fit.

Attachments http://www.geocities.com/nigel_galloway/glpk0.1.JPG,
http://www.geocities.com/nigel_galloway/glpk0.2.JPG,
http://www.geocities.com/nigel_galloway/glpk0.3.JPG and
http://www.geocities.com/nigel_galloway/glpk1.0.JPG show the
algorithm applied to the original test data with different degrees of tolerance.

I applied the algorithm to your test data with different degrees of tolerance,
see attachments http://www.geocities.com/nigel_galloway/Cern0.1.JPG,
http://www.geocities.com/nigel_galloway/Cern0.2.JPG and
http://www.geocities.com/nigel_galloway/Cern0.5.JPG.