RE: [Help-glpk] Which is the closer-to-be-officially-endorsed Java (jni)

From: Giampaolo Tomassoni
Subject: RE: [Help-glpk] Which is the closer-to-be-officially-endorsed Java (jni) GLPK interface?
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:59:04 +0100

> Hello Giampaolo,
>
> https://gnu-glpk.dev.java.net/
> is not providing a JNI interface for GLPK but allows to run GLPK on the
> Sun Grid Computing Utility.
>
> The JNI interface for GLPK published at
> http://bjoern.dapnet.de/glpk/
> has not been updated since version 4.8 of GLPK.
>
> There has been a discussion to include the necessary files to build a
> JNI
> interface
> into GLPK:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-glpk/2009-01/msg00068.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-glpk/2009-02/msg00001.html
>
> Andrew Makhorin the maintainer of GLPK decided not to include this
> feature
> into
> his distribution.
>
> Hence I set up the glpk-java project at sourceforge
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/glpk-java/
> and kept it in synch with the development of GLPK.

This is what I was looking for: a project tightly coupled with GNU GLPK.

> glpk-java is using SWIG to create the JNI wrapper classes. Therefore it
> is
> easy to upgrade to any future version of GLPK.
> (SWIG is hosted at http://www.swig.org .)

Right. I see, however, that swig tends to add some burden in the Java side.
In example, I see that constants from glpk.h are converted into methods. Am
I right or it is just I don't know almost anything about swig?

> Makefiles for Windows 32bit and 64bit and for POSIX (Linux, ...) are
> supplied.
>
> Binaries for Windows are published at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/winglpk/.
>
> A package for Debian Sid has been set up
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/java/libglpk-java

Xypron, may I ask why there is a specific project for the win binaries? And
why the Debian package shows autoconf/automake capabilities which are
missing in the glpk-java project? Can't they be back-ported?

> glpk-java currently currently does not support callback routines. I
> would
> welcome contributions to add this feature.

Ah, you see the GlpkHookIFC interface in the stan's glpk-jni subproject,
isn't it?

I may attempt to port something like that in the glpk-java project, provided
I get enough knowledge about swing.

> Best regards
>
> Xypron

Thank you very much for your reply,