[Help-glpk] Re: GLPK memory leak?

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: [Help-glpk] Re: GLPK memory leak?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 20:00:51 +0400

> I'm using the GLPKMEX interface to GLPK for Matlab, and I think I've
> isolated GLPK as the cause for my program to slowly use more and more
> memory, leading me to believe that there's a memory leak issue going
> on. I checked the code for GLPKMEX since it's only one file, and it
> appears that all memory that is allocated is also freed. However, GLPK
> has lots of functions, and I don't want to go through all of them and
> check for leaks.
>
> Are you aware of any memory leaks in GLPK? In my case, I'm running it
> on 64-bit Unix, and each individual problem that is solved is very
> small (takes 1 second or so) but I run lots and lots of problems of
> this kind, so a typical run is about 5-6 hours.
>
> Any tips you have on how to avoid or fix this issue would be
> appreciated. Thank you!

I don't think this is glpk fault. You can check utilization of the
memory used by glpk routines with the routine glp_mem_usage (for details
please see the reference manual); it allows to see how much memory is
currently allocated by glpk. If all glpk program objects have been
deleted, only a small (about 200 bytes) memory block remains allocated;
to free it you can use the routine glp_free_env, which guarantees
deallocating all the memory used by glpk. It seems to me that you should
search for the memory leak in glpkmex or in your application.