[Help-glpk] numerical instability

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: [Help-glpk] numerical instability
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 07:25:55 +1200 (NZST)

Hello Akhil

Just some thoughts.

How badly scaled is your problem?  Do you employ
scaling?  This is off by default under API usage and
needs an explicit call.  You can set the type of
scaling using bitwise or-able constants.  Please see:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Scaling

Also note the comments on stability here:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Troubleshooting#Numerical_instability

Perhaps you can get an "advance copy" of 4.46 from
Andrew?

Note the warning is just that.  Its presence does not
preclude an optimal solution.  So does the solver run
to completion?

Finally, my work involves the modeling a network of
processes, described via characteristic curves (that's
the simple explanation anyhow).  I found that whenever
I hit stability issues, my characteristic curves were
buggy, aphysicial, and in need of fixing.  Conversely,
correct curves have never (fortunately) given stability
problems.  But maybe the notion of physicality does not
apply in your case.

HTH, Robbie
---