Re: [Help-glpk] Number of iterations in a single simplex iteration

From: Heinrich Schuchardt
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Number of iterations in a single simplex iteration
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 07:51:13 +0100

Hello Umair,

in GNU Octave you have to set

param.msglev = 2
or
param.msglev = 3

to see the iteration count. See

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.0.0/Linear-Programming.html

The different constants of the GLPK library like GLP_MSG_ON mentioned in
the Octave online help are documented in doc/glpk.pdf of the GLPK source.

Here is an example:

# provide normal GLPK ouput
param.msglev = 2;
# set up the problem
c = [1; -2; -3; -1];
a = [1, -1, -2, -1; 2, 0, 1, -4; -2, 1, 0, 1];
b = [4; 2; 1];
lb = [];
ub = [];
vartype = "CCCC";
ctype = "UUU";
s = -1;
# solve the problem
[xopt, fopt, status] = ...
   glpk (c, a, b, lb, ub, ctype, vartype, s, param)

The output for the example looks like this:

*     0: obj =   0.000000000e+00  infeas =  0.000e+00 (0)
*     2: obj =   4.000000000e+00  infeas =  0.000e+00 (0)

2 is the number of iterations.

Best regards

Heinrich Schuchardt