Re: GNATS' handling of long mail subject lines

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: GNATS' handling of long mail subject lines
Date: 27 May 2001 15:01:40 +0200

    YS> The MIME script I submitted has one very positive side-effect:
    YS> It works around GNATS' inability to handle long mail subject
    YS> headers that are split over several lines.

    YS> The problem is as follows: The RFCs describing e-mail and e-mail
    YS> headers (822 and 2047) allow for the possibility of splitting
    YS> long headers across several lines. The splitting is done by
    YS> adding CRLF and then a space on the next line, before the header
    YS> itself continues.

[...]

    YS> If this kind of header is fed directly into GNATS, as in a
    YS> standard plain-vanilla installation, all kinds of strangeness
    YS> results. For instance, the index is messed up, so that queries
    YS> return garbage.

I can't reproduce the problem and I don't know what the Subject line
could have common with index.  Could you please describe the exact way
how to reproduce the problem and what exactly becomes wrong?

Thanks,

Milan Zamazal

--
Free software is about freedom, not about free beer.  If you care only about
the latter, you'll end up with no freedom and no free beer.