RE: "Exotic" GNATS 4 fields

From: Dirk Bergstrom
Subject: RE: "Exotic" GNATS 4 fields
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:26:13 -0700

> "Cases" (I have found no explanation of what it is for)

i've never seen this one.  can't imagine what it's good for.  maybe it's
similar to Related-PRs, which is a better name anyways.

> "Keywords" (which seem to have little use as long as there
> aren't any tools
> for indexing the GNATS database apart from gen-index which
> doesn't seem to have anything to do with this field)

as a former librarian, i'd argue for keeping this field.  as a current
gnats 4.0 administrator, i can't argue quite so strongly -- only about
30% of our PR database has data in the keywords field.  however, i think
it would be good to encourage people to use this field...

> "Quarter" (Not exactly sure what this is -- target quarter for a fix?)

i've never understood this one -- i always figured it was a legacy
thing.  if it's not a standard field in 3.x, i see no reason to have it
in 4.0.

> "Release-Note"

our developers fill this out for every non-confidential PR, and the
documentation folks use the info to prepare the published release notes.
it's a pretty useful field...

--
Dirk Bergstrom               address@hidden
Juniper Networks Inc.,          Computer Geek